Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Intercepted

It looks like I'm not going to get a chance to see the rest of the autopsy report, after all. My friend had made a copy of the other papers, but... something came up.When he told me what happened, I grabbed an old digital recorder that I have and got him to tell me the whole story again, in detail. The transcript of that conversation is below.

Me [D]: Alright, it's recording. Now, tell me: what the hell happened out there?

Jeff [J]: Like I told you. I was walking back to my car, and some fucker knocked me down, grabbed my bag, and ran off. I found the back-pack lying on the ground about fifty feet away, but the guy was gone and so were those papers.

D: Could you tell we what the man who attacked you looked like?

J: Eh, I dunno. I didn't get a really good look at him. Besides, I think he was wearing a red hoodie, and the hood covered like half his face. I couldn't really have seen much.

D: Was there anything else? Anything at all might help.

J: Umm... well, I think he might have been bleeding. A lot. The chest and neck of his sweatshirt was soaked, and there was some blood on my bag when I finally got it back. [Jeff seems uncomfortable.] Hey, Dan, can I tell you something?

D: Sure.

J: I don't think I really want to be involved in this anymore. You can keep following your little pet project, but I don't want anything to do with it. That fucker doesn't seem to want people seeing those papers.

D: Jeff, I think you're overreacting just a-

J: [Jeff leans forward, whispering now] I think you're underreacting. Some guy practically fucking mugged me in a parking lot, in broad daylight, to get my copy of the report. You can keep researching if you want, but count me out of it.

D: Alright, Jeff. If you really feel that way.

J: I do. [gets up to leave]

Later, Jeff told me that he remembered what the body diagrams in the report looked like, and that he would make me a sketch of them of he got the chance. For now, though, it looks like I'm on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment